Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Day 6: Letters from Family and Peace

I got off by a day, so I'm reflecting on two days in one, but--hey--there's no such thing as too much gratitude, right?

Today, Wednesday, there was a sweet surprise in my school mailbox: a letter from my maternal grandparents! How sweet they are to send me news from home, reflections of daily life, and words of encouragement. I've rarely seen these grandparents as often as I'd like, but they are so faithful to check in with me.

I am thankful for the enduring love of family and the perfect timing of a letter.

And why was this morning the perfect moment to receive a note? Well, responsibilities and opportunities rarely spread themselves out evenly in life. So many great things are coming up in the next couple of days, that when I thought of all I needed to do this morning, a wave of panic threatened to capsize my little life.

I have so much to do! How will I be most effective in a specific class today? How was I during that evaluation? What if I can't get it all done? I have to be better. Notice a pattern in the panic? I was the center of the problem.

But then, the reality of God struck me. He is the amazing King of the Universe. He calls me his child. He has given me life and his very Spirit. He brought me to Budapest. He created me to be an English teacher. He knew what today and tomorrow would hold before time began. He loves my students and colleagues more than I do and will not let me mess things up too badly. He asks me to join him in life, not to do it alone. He walks beside me in the "yoke". He has a plan that will not fail.

Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.
Matthew 11:29

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4:6-7


I am so very thankful for the peace that he gave today and the hope he gives for tomorrow.

You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast, because he trusts in you. Isaiah 26:3

No comments: