Thursday, June 12, 2008

Villamoson

On the tram
"Villamos" was one of the first Hungarian words I learned, and I ride the tram every day along the Danube to language school. Tough gig, I know.

On the tram, I usually have my iPod playing something worshipful, upbeat, or instrumental (if I'm studying for the aforementioned language school). God and I have a wonderful time together during the commute as I sing along-- in my head, no worries--and ponder all that is going on.

I love the LORD, for he heard my voice; he heard my cry for mercy. Because he turned his ear to me, I will call on him as long as I live.
Psalm 116:1-2


The fact that the eternal God, mighty King, and awesome Creator hears my voice--even in my head-- is marvelous. What a great love! What a great God!

Yesterday during my commute, I was struck by some lyrics that I've heard a thousand times but that hefted new relevance on the streets of Budapest.
I love anonymity and I love being noticed just the same as anybody else. Years ago I told you how I love to be alone. These days I'd be perjuring myself. -Caedmon's Call

The anonymity--sorry, that's the best word for it--of the city is invigorating. The fact that I don't know any of the life stories around me prompts me to be curious and care for people more. How wonderful it is to be able to show a moment of concern for a fellow villamos passenger as she struggles up the steps. Will the glory of God show through?

But I must say, "being noticed" as the song continues, or being recognized by someone in the crowd is refreshing, too. To be always the stranger gets tiring. I've felt a bit too foreign or anonymous this week as I've trekked to language school and then headed home to study (or avoid studying). Yesterday, I even had a moment of deep sadness when it seemed that I was on the outside of every social circle here. But then, the God who listens to my brief comments on the tram stepped up and reminded me of truth, of his great love, and of friendships that are forming here.

Still, it may be time for some social interaction! :) Enough anonymity for now. Anyone up for the new Narnia movie?

No comments: